I started by supplying groups of students with several smallish rectangles of card, cut to roughly correspond to the proportions of a human figure. Firstly, two squarish pieces: one for the upper body (incl head) and one for the lower body (pelvis), which allows a bend at the waist and more realistic movement. I also gave each group two fairly skinny rectangles for the arms and two slightly thicker rectangles for the legs. In their groups, the students then quickly drew and cut individual elements, each taking a single arm or leg, or part of the body/head. This ensured a monstrous, unpredictable result, but also made sure that every group worked fast to bring together a product almost instantly.
The remainder of the session was then given over to the students to create their own puppets and ideas. I also made some coloured tissue paper available, as well as craft knives, for cutting into the shapes and inserting colour and layers of texture. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of their work from the final performance, but will see if I can find some!